Pages

Wednesday 6 November 2013

Looks like they will not be installing a contra-flow bike lane on Shaw. I was crossing Shaw this AM and here is what I saw on the pavement:



"Sharrows" indicating where the bikes should be, not a painted lane nor a separated lane. 


 This is Shaw looking South

So as far as I can tell, there is no contra-flow lane planned for Shaw, instead it is sharrows indicating the expected place of cyclists, on the right hand side of the street cycling Southward.

I'm not sure the exact purpose of this. Those who were aware of the traffic rules either cycled there anyway or ignored them, many, many cyclists cycle the wrong way on Shaw. I don't suspect any of them will suddenly realize they should have been going the other way. 

Instead we now have an even more confusing situation for new riders, they have a clearly indicated pavement marking saying that they are to be traveling South. This will be all the more confusing when cyclists pass them going North.

A contra-flow lane would have been FAR safer for cyclists, given the tendency to ride the wrong way on this street.

Oh well...

Cheers,

Ian


2 comments:

  1. that also looks like some seriously crap pavement...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it certainly is.

    Herb over at IBikeTO has assured me that despite the indications otherwise this will eventually be a contraflow lane, so I guess I just have to be patient, LOL.

    Cheers

    Ian

    ReplyDelete